Eritrea spearing

General discussion about spearfishing. All registered users can add topics and discuss here.

Moderator: Maza

Ted

Eritrea spearing

Postby Ted » 14.10.2005 20:12:39

Hi Maza, I saw in the gallery that you went spearing in Eritrea. What a coincidence :lol: . I should pass through that region shortly. And I couldn't find reliable information about spearing there anywhere. Could you fill me in?

TIA

Ted
Rio, Brazil

Yo Ted!

Postby Yo Ted! » 22.10.2005 17:01:29

Sorry about the late answer. I was at working trip!

If you have a lot of money the Eritrea can be one of the best places in the world. You nee a cash because the renting the boat is super expensive.

The Dahlak Archipelago is a amazing, but going to the east side of the archipelago where the places are virgin is very difficult. also the spearfishing is forbidden. But the best thing would be rent a sailing boat from Egypt and just sail by your self to the Dahlak archipelago, that would be unbeliveable.

Also the Sudan is great but the situation in the country seems to be quit wild. At Sudan the water is more clear!

Ok, if you have more questions just let me know! Maza

Ted

Postby Ted » 22.10.2005 17:36:07

Boat isn't a problem at all. My bosses motor yacht will cruise that area in the winter--Red Sea to Oman. What really worries me are the alleged spearfishing prohibitions. Could you tellexactly where and what's forbbiden? Did you get in the country with spearguns in your luggage?

Any other recommendation?

Luiz Antonio Pereira (Ted)
Rio, Brazil

PS: BTW, Matti I lost your emails. Send me a private message so I can update it, would you please?

Maza

Yo Ted!

Postby Maza » 27.10.2005 22:00:06

If you have a privat boat at the region you will not have any problems at all. Only people who knows about the laws against spearfishing are in the main land or in the Scuba diving centers. And at least Eritrea there is just few boats. And there is nobody checking you at the sea. I did not have any problem with the custom because, I said I just have fishing equipments at my bags. Of course if you want to be shure you put your spear gun at pieces and carry them in separeated bags.

I was also thinking that also the Oman coast have to be unbeliveable. Privat boat and you will experience something super. And remember spearfishing is only prohibitted in Dahlak Archipelago, no where else. I was fishing more shouth, closer to Dibouti but there the visibility is poor.

Just remember that the Shark action was realy life at Eritrea.
I will put soon some underwater video to Kampelas site from Eritrea!

Maza

Ted

Postby Ted » 28.10.2005 18:35:27

Great info Maza. Just to close the thread: how poor was this poor viz on the Eritrean spots near Djibouti?

On the Dhalak Archipelago, indeed there's park, but I can't get info anywhere of its boundaries. Has anybody mentioned the limits to you?

Ted
Rio

Maza

Yo Ted!

Postby Maza » 29.10.2005 14:00:14

Dont worry about the limits of the Dahlak archipelago!

Closer to the Dibouiti the viibility was only about 8 meters. But I was close to the coast. If you have a boat I dont think you will have any problem.
But remember the pirates at Dibouti and Somalia!
T Maza

Return to “General”