Spearfishing in Canada (mostly considering B.C.)

General discussion about spearfishing. All registered users can add topics and discuss here.

Moderator: Maza

Kimi

Spearfishing in Canada (mostly considering B.C.)

Postby Kimi » 13.4.2005 23:50:08

This is a reply to a personal message I received from Jens, but I thought it would interest others too.

I've seen some websites with catches from lakes in central Canada and it seems like it's pretty good fishing there.

I my self have spent most of my time in the Vancouver area where the potential fishing grounds are tidal waters of the Pacific. Canada has been good at comercial overfishing the prime example of which is the cod population crash of Newfoundland and subsequent moratorium on cod fishing.
On the west coast the situation is similar, however not as drastic. Nevertheless, many areas near Vancouver are essentially empty of fish (own observations and comments from locals). There are areas with better spearfishing potential but the regulations are still quite extensive. I've heard that Broken Island on the pacific rim of Vancouver Island is a good area as well as some areas on the north coast of the island. The regulations on fishing are quite elaborate and undrestanding the jungle of regulations and area limits takes some time. Looking at the regulations of different areas it seems like the Queen Sharlot islands are a potentilly good area. Have a look at the regulations and make your own conclusions:
http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages ... able_e.htm

Shortly: If you wnt to spearfish in Canada dont go to Vancouver but rather find out about lakes with good fish populations or go to the west coast of Vancouver island. If you want to fish for salmon take a fishing rod, leave the speragun and go to the Queen Sharlots. If you want to get big catches and avoid a lot of regulations go to Norway!

My two spearguns i brought with me have still not been to any use, but I'll try to hit the Bella Coola area later this summer and hook up with a local guy for some spearing. If its any good I'll report to you...
Meanwhile I'll keep trainging breath hold and endurance in order to hit the end of the competition season in Finland...

For more info on Canadian spearfishing go to DeeperBlue and try to get hold of a guy who calls himself "Amphibious", he is an avid spearfisher from Price Rupert.

Cheers,

Kimi

Jens_Germany

Postby Jens_Germany » 15.4.2005 7:45:34

Hi Kimi,

thanx for your super information about the spearfishing situation in Canada.

Best regards
Jens

keith_05

spearfishing in canada

Postby keith_05 » 23.10.2005 18:29:21

i spearfish in canada but in ontario theres a lot of good game fish out here includin small mouth bass, largemotuh bass pike muskie pickerel./.... i live in windsor which is closest to lake erie .. the viz is not good though a good lake to spearfish is lake huron or superior becauce of the water clearity lake superior has many sunken ships which are fun to dive but lake huron is pretty shallow an beautiful sand bars wtih many fish!!!

Ted

Postby Ted » 26.10.2005 20:18:03

Sounds good, Keith_05. But is it legal to spearfish there in Ontario. I know from the famous Montreal Brown Water Hunters club that it's legal in Québec, but not in Ontario. Many years ago I turned down a job offer near Toronto because I didn't want to stop spearfishing.

What gives?

Ted
Rio

JJ Rousseau

Postby JJ Rousseau » 19.3.2006 2:59:09

Keith_05,

Ted is right: It's strickly prohibited to spearfish in Ontario. Québec has similar conditions with St-Lawrence river, and it's legal there.

E-mail me if you want to know more about spearfishing in Quebec.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Mtl Brown Water Hunters

Return to “General”