10.1.2005 Gibraltar, Spain

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

10.1.2005 Gibraltar, Spain

Postby Maza » 11.1.2005 21:11:40

I have always heard about the Estrecho ( Giblartar). Strong currents and big fish. So when I got invitation to Masters of Spearfishing competition to Mallorca, I desided to visit Estrecho.

I called to Cesar Quevedo and he promised to fish couple days with me. In the Estrecho there is no posibilities to spearfish with out the help of the local guy. Even with their help the currents can hit you like hell.

I landed to Malaga and I took the bus to Algeciras. There I met happy face Cubano ( Cesar has this nick name because he looks like a cuban guy). Cesar is firemen and he had a work so I went fishing for one day with Petecan (Alberto Rodriquez), he had this nick name from Tahiti where he shooted a lot of fish with this name.

We left the harbour and it was amazing view. The sea was totally blue and sun was shining. Petecan told me that this is the the best time at Estrecho for clear water. We drove with the boat like 45 minutes passing by nice light house. Then Petecan started to check from his GPS the spots.
First place we stopped was a nice rock at 26 meters. Nice feeling for me because I havent been water in one month, just drinking vodka at Praga.
Por Dios, there was not a current at this place so after two warm up dives I could hit the rock. The visibility was amazing, it was 25 meters. I did not see any fish at the rock so I desided to film the Maestro, Petecan.

The decision to film and not to hunt was the best I have made for a long time. I was catching at tape ( which you will see later at Kampelas page) two Meros, 5 Lubinas and 2 nice fish which name I dont remember.

I have to say that I havent saw in my life anybody as tallented spearfisher as Petecan. All the fish he pierced was with the leathel hits, staight to the killing spot. He was diving at 14 degrees water at 24-30 meters of depht.

When the current started to hit as we saw something very nice.

Just last dives of the day, when I was too tired to follow Petecan to deep waters he came to surface with amazing speed and reel singing. "I have shooted the Pez Limon "(Serviola), he said. What a sight was waiting my video camera. Serviola of 23 kg was coming up from the bottom. Wauuuuuuuu.......

It was honor to be with Petecan that day. And this huge fish was biggest what I have ever been hunting. So I could say that my spearfishing year 2005 started perfectly. Hasta luego. Matti

Return to “Maza”