11.1.2005 Gibraltar Spain

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

11.1.2005 Gibraltar Spain

Postby Maza » 11.1.2005 21:56:21

Today I left fishing with Cesar. Cesar likes to fish far from Algeciras so we drove with the car 100 km to the west. Cesar was fishing at saturday in the great place with clear water so he wanted to take me there.

Cesar is firemen so we wake up already 06.30 am. What a time to wake up. It was freezing out side when we were packing the stuff. I was feeling quit dead from yesterday. I forget to tell that I was coffing yesterday and some blood was coming from somewhere of my body so the feeling was not the best. Anyway...

I was sleeping in the back seat of the car and Cesar and his boat men
" Pepe" where talking about fishing and girls as usually.

When we came to the harbour, the sun was just coming up and I was starting to feel good. My body ofcourse was not ready to diving after a long break but this time the body really needed to warm up. It is strange because even I was having good time at Praga, I was jogging like hell almost everyday. But still this morning I was totally out.

But when the sun started to rise my feelings were going up. I was thinking that it is fucken 10 january and the sun is warming and sea is beautifull. What a place we have to live in north of Europe. This day was as warm as the good day at mid summer in Finland. Ok. Life is a Kurva.

So I was thinking that when we are 100 km from the main Estrecho
( I mean the most narrow place between Europe and Africa) the current shoul be dead. I was wrong. When we get to the first spot of Cesars GPS, it was hard core. Cesar put the boye in the water with the strong rope. The 2 kg weight hit the bottom and what happend. The current was so strong that the boye went under the water and after some seconds the line was cutted. What a power, grazy.

So we left this river place. We where looking the spots and finally we saw a nice place. The rocks came from the 30 meters to 15 meters and the current was ok. Unfortunately the sea was not blue it was green. So the day was a lot different from yesterday.

The technic to spearfish in the strong current in Estrecho is following.
First you find a spot with GPS or you know the machine which is measuring the depth. Then in the most shallow plave you drop a mark boye. Then the boat men takes you like 200 metrs away from the boye against the current. Then the fishermen jump to the sea and start to breathing.

Ok, I was breathing at the same time the current was hitting my back. You have to ingnore this. Then you start to dive 50 meters before the mark boye. Then you dive with the current and hopefully you hit the spot.
The spot was grazy. 20 km away from the coast and then from 40 meters one rock is rising to 18 meters. This is great place for the big fish of course. This is really Pylis favorite place....

Pepe was taking as always up to current with the boat after each dive. So very important was to think when to start the dive because it was wery dificult to hit the rock. So a little story about one dive.

I jump from the boat to water. I was breathing and focusing my head to the mission, there was a lot of Sea Bass ( Lubinas) around the rock. I was looking that the current is taking me at the right distance from the boye. I started to hit the rocks. The visibility was only 5 meters so it was not eazy.
From 15 meters I started to see the rock. Then you really have to be in the right position. Closer to the rocks, the current is stonger. Reaching the rock I always crap some stone in my hand to stay still. Then there was a nothing else to do than wait. The Sea Bass where coming with groups and really fast. Suddenly they where in front of you and then PUM. It was difficult to hit those fish. Many time it happened that when I shooted the fish, the fish started to go deeper and then the arrow was stucked. I had to go to the surface with the reel and go to the boat. From there we were pulling the arrow up. Funny thin was that I had destroyed my suit from the chest when I was loading and there was a big hole. When I was coming up to surfice the sea water went to my suite. I was thinking, shit the current is so strong that it goes in to my suite.

So in the end of the day we got 15 kg of Sea Bass and some Zargos. It was not a perfect day but it was a huge experince of fishing in the current.
Ciao...

Mikko

Postby Mikko » 12.1.2005 9:11:56

Good stuff champ!!! Keep it coming.
:shock:

Respect,
Mikko

Return to “Maza”