15.1-18.1.2007 Peava Village, WP, Solomon Islands

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

15.1-18.1.2007 Peava Village, WP, Solomon Islands

Postby Maza » 3.2.2007 6:28:26

We took the Pelican Express boat from Honiara to the Western Province
( WP ), to Mbunikalo. It was hard core 5 hours ride over the big ocean. At the Mbunikalo we started to search transpotation to the south. In the east to the Nggatokae island. We founded our selves at Peava village which was definetly the most beautifull place ever. Amazing white beach, perfect totally blue ocean and super nice people. At the same village is also Wilderness Lodge, which is run by australian guy called Carry. We of course finded our own places to sleep.

The locals rented as a house which was owned by chinease family. It was there summer house, but they havent been there at five years. Five ears ago started the ethnical tension at Solomon Islands ( mainly in Honiara). Many foreigners left the country fast. The chinease family hast come back yet so we were having all house for our selves. We paid 18 euro per night all together. Reea, Joseba and me. Joseba was still pissed of about not having his spear guns and professional lycra suits. But because I was having a lot of extra stuff and some equipments for Reea we were able to some good spearfishing.

So we left with the local fishermen called Irwin to the most far away island, called Kisha. It was 45 minutes with 15 horse power boat. We cahnged our suits at the paradise small bay and then we headed to the ruff corner of the island. We were all the time looking drop offs. Reea was laughing to us because we asked about 20 times aday "Where is the drop of ? "

Irwin took as up to the current and we jumped to the water about 100 meters before the super strong current hitted the reef. When I putted my face to the water I was really excited. Sharks were hasling around and huge school of Barracudas were looking the finnish white fins. It was difficult to concentrate but as I knew before from Guadacanal I was forced to dive wery deep. And I of course were having the under water housing in my hands. Joseba was always starting the shooting first because he was having more experince of the mr. Sharks.

We shooted of some Barracudas and one nice Spanish King Macrell. We learned from the last time that is super important at the first day to shoot many fishes so the village people are more happy and they want to help us more. Ok after some hours of really tuff diving we realized again that even in this best spot ( the last island, the last reef, super current, alot of small fishes and big sharks) there were no huges Dog thooth Tuna. I saw one Dog Thooth Tuna about 25 kg at 25 meters but it kept the distance and it was going deeper. Shit. It was amazing diving, but we were here looking for thr real big fishes.

Ok, Joseba is the cheaf and with him I have 100 procent confidence what he is doing. So we drove up to the current, like 200 meters before it would hitted the reef wall. We shooted plenty of little fishes and we cutted the in the little pieces. Then the Irwin and Reea was throwing them in to the blue water. We followed the fish meat when it was floting and when they sunk about to the 10 meters we dived close to them. Joseba was also making big noise with his mouth, like yelling under water. He said that Tunas like the noise. But buta sharks. We were at the 20 meters at the blue room and the Sharks were around as. They came from the deep to eat all the fish pieces. There were White Tip Reef Sharks, Black Tip reef Sharks ( No problem with those guys ) but then came couple of big Silver Tip Sharks. We really have to look around our shoulders. So the system was not working. The Sharks were eating our "flashers" and the big Tuna was not coming up from the depths. But, then happened something that I thought that Mr. tsunami is comin up!

Horrible noise underwater and our bodies were shaking like at the techo parties at the bat cave, early nineteens. The sound just continued like 2 minutes. Joseba was panicin and I was somehow more calm. I dont usually get nervious suddelly at the water. Beacuse usually there is no reason. We went to the boat and asked from the Irwin, what up. He told us " It is the underwater vulcano whic is 20 miles from here". It is still active and we will see soon some lava at the surface. Shit, underwater vulcano. Then it was so super cool dive at the deep, reef wall against your back and then the sound coming from the depths. I dont have to go helsinkis adjusement park next year. Later we heard that the vulcano is sometimes 30 meters above the surface and soetimes 15 meters high from the sea level!
We were continuing hunting all day in the miracle clear water. The visibility was from 20-25 meters and still + 29 celcius. We catched like 4 big Spanish King Macrells ( local called them King Fish) , Barracudas and plenty of other small fishes. When we arrived the village people were super happy. From this also we could realise that there is not super big fish here if the locals are happy from 15 kg fishes.

Next day we tried to found better spots but we cached less which. Every dive there was a sharks but with the reef Sharks and two guys in the water it was not a problem. Then in the evening one guy told as that there was a Tuna catcher ( boye) only 1 hour boat trip from the village. We were exited, we have to go there. Then in the morning we left with the baot and we drove 90 minutes to the open sea until we realised that this guy didnt have any clue were was the big boye. Shit we were 3 hours in the boat under the killing sun. When we came back at the afternoon we shooted many of the small fishes at the passage. Just in front of the Peava village. But you know that the late afternoon the bigger guys were showing up. I shooted 5 nice Blue Jacks and then Joseba came to me " we have to change a spot" big Bull Shark just came in front of me". After we kept only little distance of each others.

In the evening eating a great dinner from our catch ( the village was so happy eating our good fish, there were living 14 families) one guy came up. He told as that there is a out side reef 100 minutes from the coast. Once we were happy, there we have to go. But then started this biggest problem of Solomon Islands. There was huge lack of petrol.

Next morning we left far away village to buy petrol. We would need 50 litres to the outside reef. Ok, super lot of fixing and we were avaivable to go out. First we went to the other village to search for the guide. We didnt want to be lost at the sea again. Ok, we were having a guide and sea was not too HC. I was so happy because so far away, there have to be great, virgin place for spear fishing. Jing-Jang. Mother fuckers. After 2 hours driving the guide didnt finf the reef. Everybody who knows me. know what kind of feelings were inside me. All the trouble and we were again lost even the guy told as many time " Yes, yes I know were is the reef ".
This day was really eating the guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all the work and troble we started to realised that at the Solomon Islands, the big fish was just gone. Fucken Japanise and Chinease!

And no gasoline or big boat to go visit the under water active vulcano!

Return to “Maza”