19.1-22.1.2007 Gizo, Solomon Islands

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

19.1-22.1.2007 Gizo, Solomon Islands

Postby Maza » 3.2.2007 7:15:45

We left from Mbunikalo with Solomon Express speed boat to Gizo. That should be a great spot, at least that was I was heard. ON the way we met university people from Copenhagen University. And they knew Johan, of course!

Gizo posed to be the most touristic place at Solomons. So we though that there have to be a petrol. But no, the city was totally out from the "local Gold". Shit, we were able to by super expensive 1 liter 15 local dollars which is about 1,8 euro for a litre. We took the gasoline and we hired one boat to look the best fisher men in the area, called Erik. We found him sleeping the hang over away under his house, 20 minutes boat drive from south of Gizo. I never saw face like that before. He was Kiribati people. The British goverment send the many polynesian Kiribati people to remote areas at Solomons. Erik told as that the real reason is that USA wanted to have some islands for their nuclear testing. And now Kiribati people are making a law suit against USA. They want to go back.

Erik face with full of scars and life experience took as to his best place around Gizo. Nothing especial and the water was not even that clear than in the south. We shooted some King fishes and Grouppers. Main thing was that we realised no big fish here eather.

Once again in the late after noon we found a super current point between two islands. And of course the Military shark police was there. Now it was the first time that I was scared. Joseba shooted one big barracuda. The fish was fighting like hell and suddenly 8 sharks was tearing it a part in 2 seconds under me. What a sight. But Joseba said it nothing to worried about. Its their style. Yeah, what a style. We dived couple more time in this same spot and we shooted some fish and I saw a big Bull shark very close. I tooked easy and I was looking at staright in the eyes.

At the end of the day we were talking everything with the Erik. Then he sais" I know three Tuna boyes in the far away sea". Are they super good, we asked. " Super" he said. So we made a deal that we would meet him at 5 oclock in the morning at the Gizo harbour. I was at the heaven. Finally some big action is coming. But the following evening was the first for a long time.

The petrol was totally out from everywhere and we would need 50 liters. Joseba was fixing it from our Rekona Motel cheaf. He founded one chinease mafia guy who would sell as it very expensive in the evening. But in the evening the guy never showed up. I was like giving up everything. I left the great feeling inside of me like I did at 1997 or something when Finland was almost going to the football world Cup finals. But in the end Hungary made the goal. Jing-Jang. I was looking the petrol everywhere. I went even to the police sation were the nice guy called 20 phone calls, but nothing. I gave up. Then I went to Motel and the 50 liters of gasoline was there. The chinease guy has bring it there and also super good news for Joseba. After 13 days of lost the mother fucken Quantas has found his spear gun bag. Super, everything was going great. From Josebas bag was missing 4 long arrows, so someone has stole something. Starnge but we were having all the equipments for the big day.

We woke up 4.30 in the morning ( I was so energized that I slep just 2 hours) and we headed to the harbour. It was totally dark and people were sleeping at the street and every where. Huge rats were running every where. I looked all the time to the sea and waiting for the sound of Eriks boat. 5.15 nothing. 5.30 nothing. Joseba was giving up and totally pissed of. He went back to the motel. I tolled him that" Tu hijo de buta, abuelo de mierda, el pessimistico garnde mierda", I will wait 10 minutes more.
After Joseba left Erik came from the darkness.

Beautifull sun set we headed to the Tuna boyes. Erik told that he would have GPS but in the end Erik didnt came with as. It was another guy and we didnt have the GPS. What we could do. Anyway after 90 minutes at the boat open sea ( 15 horse powers Tohatsu ) We founded the boye.
We make everything super secure. Wooden Teak Sea gun. Break aways. huge fishing boyes in our line. Everything perfect. We dived to the sea. Many sharks and plenty of little fish. But after two hours diving, also at 30 meters and cutting the fish, nothing. We shooted just one beautifull 15 kg Wahoo. So that was it.

Other Tuna boyes the guy couldnt find and way back home we were fishing just barracudas and Grouppers. But here also, lesss than 22 meters there were nothing. By by Gizo!

Return to “Maza”