15 & 16.2.2007 East Cape, Papua New Guinea

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

15 & 16.2.2007 East Cape, Papua New Guinea

Postby Maza » 17.2.2007 4:29:04

15.2.2007 This was the worst day of my trip. In the morning the guys should come to pick us up from Alotau, Beto quest house at 6.00 am. Of course nobody came. I was feeling weak, because I slept really badly. So hot that UI was sweating 5 liters at the night. Anyway, I have to fix the ride to East Cape. We arrived there about 11.00 am. Then we left all the stuff at Kehelala quest house. Tom was fixing the Dingie ( boat ). And we left to the sea. Because I have lost allready 2 spear of my Teak Sea gun we have bought specially wire to my gun. The problem here is that the fish swim after the hit immediatly to the bottom and to the holes of coral. Coral is so sharp that it cuts like a knife.

We were fishing between the Nuakata Island and east Cape. There was no wind but the current was super stong. It was really difficult to find a good spot were you could anchor the boat and dive. Some of the fish we just hanging at the surface ( in front of the current ) but when I started to go down they went down also in front of me. So I always have to dive about to 20 meters and take a grip from coral or just float at the blue water. Now the visibility was much better, almost 20 meters, but changing a lot with the current. But this day was the worst. Fucken wire. I shooted the great Spanish Macrell, and it the wire just get cutted. Hell I was so angry!!!

-Both of my fins have broken. ( I have fix them with glue and rubber, but no power )
-My diving pants get totally broken, so I burned my arse totally.
-Spears are disappearing, I have to shoot to kill.
-Thank god I have many rubbers, because those nylons are not everlasting.

I am really diving now here with the local style and with the super fixed equipments. One thing which is still working is the Rabitech guns and spears from Spearpoint, so thanks to Mikko.

And after the diving when I fixed my equipments at the beach I cutted my hand pretty badly with the knife. I just wanted to go home.

We woke up 5 oclock am. We needed to find aboat. But now it just tooked 5 minutes. I went to the market and a I asked who wants to come fishing with me. Immediatly 2 guys wanted to come with their boats. They just wanted some fish for the sellary ( I bring the petrol ). They wanted to see how the famous "white men from Finland" is fishing. Great! We were all ready fishing at 6 oclock am. Now I told to the guys that we use the boat. So they just drop me in front of the current. I rest there and I dive before the reef and then the current will hit me there. That was the great style. I shooted one Sweet lip 22 kg and some huge Spanish Macrells. I was once again aiming one Dog Thooth Tuna more than 30 kg, but I didnt shoot it becaus e it didnt came close enough. Those U-boats you shoot only in the head, I have learn that. At 5.30 pm we stopped fishing. I have been 11 hours constanly fishing. Super nice day, but my diving suit get broken from the arse, so left side was totally burned.

Ok, this day was much better and all the East Cape village was happy because we have super much fish. I gave some fish to the village guys and rest we will sell at Alotau. King fish 1,5 euro a kilogram. It still mystery for me. The sea is full of fish but the local guys just get it up from the water.

In the land I was allmost passing out. 11 hours diving to 15-25 meters. I have been eating only morning the mysli and day time just drinking the coconut. But, I love this sport, is the best!

Return to “Maza”