27.2-2.3.2007 Wal Island, Manus, Papua New Guinea

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

27.2-2.3.2007 Wal Island, Manus, Papua New Guinea

Postby Maza » 17.3.2007 8:05:30

Uh, still a bit head ache from the local SP beer ( South Pasific ). It was the firs time at 80 days I touched any beers. The local Pondium night club was great and of course I beated the local guys at the dance floor so they were offering me a lot of SP.

Anyway, The mr. Jamaica, Kriss has organised as to Wal Island. South, west side of Manus. Normally 3 hours with the boat from Lorengau. The trip usually are easy but this time is wasnt like that. After all kind of haselment, we left finally at 4 pm from Lorengau. It was already too late but the guys told its ok.

At 6.30 at the blue moment we hitted with the motor two times the coral reefs. The gasoline started to finish and the Wal island was at sight but still far away. I tolled the guys that we have to stay at night at village at the main land. I am not trusting this city-party boys marine skills. So we went to Temonie village. They let as to sleep at the bush house with the young boys and leave at the early morning. I just couldnt sleep. Just bambu bed and horrible size of night butterflys making a big noise ( of course we were having a mosquito net). What a night. Respect to Reea.

Ok, now at Wal and the things look great. We have a house just for our selves ( for free, Wantok style ),and there is super many reefs around Wal and Buke island. The wind is just getting harder.

The local spearfishing cheaf, Rasta Felix came to show us the best places. The best reef was at the west side of Wal, staright in front of the current and big waves. I was having so much expetations when I putted my face to the water. But it was super. Full of small sardins jumping and tens of surgeon fishes swimming above the reef. The reef started at 12 meters so first dives I just went to slee over the reef and facing the current. Nice king fish was passing me and at deep water I saw big Dog Thooth chacing the sardins. Yes, this is the place. But, I was very unlucky with the weather. The wind started to blow really hard and the current came super strong. The guys couldn ark the boat anywere and if they could anchor the waves came in to the boat. Shit. And I was trying to do some filming. Housing at the one hand and gun at the one hand, what a mess. I shooted some Barracudas, but King fish and Tunas were not at place any moore. Ok, nature is the king.

After catching 15 fishes the Hard Core rain started. The boys were crying to go home so we have to stop this day. They were so wet and cold that two of them stayed 2 days at the bed after.

In the evenings the lady from our neigbour house made as the great dinner and we were spending nice time with vilageers talking about life and so on. We wewr not the first white peole here becaus these people were really religious and many missionaries has visited the island.

Iwas still fishing around the Wal Island to more days. I saw one super big giant Jack but it was too far. The problem was that the waves came even more bigger so we couldnt fish at the west side ( the current side ) of Wall and Buke. Also the local guys said that the best conditions are when the current is coming from the east. Then there is many sharks and many big fishes. So I was just shooting Barracudas and reef fishes. We have brought from Lorengau 3 fish boxes which were full of Ice so every day after cleaning the fish we putted them to the boxes. After 3 of fishing I was having 70 kg of fish. Of course most of the fish went to the local village peole. But it was nice because with this fish at Lorengau I could stay for free at the Lukuni Lodge.

I was also picking upp the sea cucumbers but I couldn find the best ones. The best ones were the white with the spots. You could sell them with 25 euros a kg. You would need about 2-3 to have one kg. Huge money here. Great time at Wall island but still I couldnt find the place with the huge pelagics and clear water.

And on the way back to Lorengau, horrible rain strom, grazy waves and the petrol finished. Not nice welcoming to Lorengau, but PNG style is the best.

Return to “Maza”