9.3-13.3.2007 Lavongai, New Hanover, Papua New Guinea

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

9.3-13.3.2007 Lavongai, New Hanover, Papua New Guinea

Postby Maza » 17.3.2007 8:47:26

Finally! I cant explane how difficult was to get a ride to north. Lavongai sland of New Irland Province. First I was going with one local fishing guys which were working to one tuff lady. The Lady came to see us and she told me, ok we take you there but you work hard and fish a lot for me. I was, like yes, of course. But everyday we should go some problems came. Bad weather, no petrol, we are waiting the boat operator etc. I get pissed of. The Kavieng was not a special place. There were just to resorts islands in front of the town. There was nice, great waves and some austarlian surffers boys. One double room for night 130 euros!!!!

Then I just met some guys at the street and they told me that they were going at Lavongai. Great I said. We made a deal. I just would pay 30 euroa of as. Then later I would fish some fishes for him. Great because going to Lavongai was like 4 hours and you would need 90 litres of gasoline. We should leave at 1 pm. But once again PNG style, at 4 pm we srated the motor, too late once again, but anyway. Then happened first time at this trip some bull shit. This tuff lady came with her car to as and said that we shouldn leave. Why I asked. We should go to the fisheries office to have a talk with some officers. I was going mad, because I knew if we would do this we would never be able to leave to day. I was just yelling that this is a free country I can go where ever and I dont have to meet anybody. The situation was weird for a while, but finally we left to Lavongai.

I just have to say that I respect Pasific style so much. No this kind of bull shit. This lady just wanted to as to travel with her and it seems that she wanted me to work only wor her. Thanks to jungle, it didnt go like that!

We were leaving too late as usually. It was nice too see really strong currents which were in the channels between the Kavieng and Lavongai Island. If I would have more time I would saty here for fishing but not this time. Beautiful, rainbows were all over when we we driving the boat. But like always, the darknes started to take over and I told guys, no way we will continue at the night. At PNG every month these small boats are disappiering at the sea. Some of these guys are not the best sailors and I havent seen even one life jacket any where. So we stayed in a small nice village. People super friendly and I was answering questions about Finland. How is the heating system in Finland? " We have a central heating in the houses, but the best heating is the " big fat lady". That was my normal answer, to get good connectin with the village people.

I slep quit well even the cassette player was shouting religous Lord songs, and ladys baking the bred and the donuts in the light of the oil lamp.

In the morning, was raining as usually and totally wet we continued the trip far north. Typical PNG style. I asked the guys at Kavien 10 times is this 12 gallons what they bought enough, " Of course " the guys said but once again the fuel was out. We have to wait 2 hours at the beach , middle of nowhere when the guys went to the wet jungle to look petrol. Normally I would be totally cool but this was saturday and I really wnted to go fishing. Tomorrow would be sunday and then is the relax day. Also 8 days out from water. I started to have "reflas ".

Finally, finally we came to our small village at the Lavongai Village. There was a small house, with a nice room which one family was offering to as. They asked some money, but I told them I will give them fish and because this is my last destination, we will left all kind of stuff to them. They agreed. Ok, then fast actin Jackson and to the sea, with the local spearfishers.

We drove only 15 minutes from our village and the guys told me that here is the best rock-reef ever. Like always, tension was rising when I looked to the water, and now it was really super. From the surface I saw huge King fish swimminng under me. Big Jacks crusing after Sardins and many Sharks working as a police. Like, everytime I did couple dives with out shooting any fish and checking the situation. And, the guys, so much helping. Here I was having 3 guys at the boat and 3 guys at the water all the time. That is the best protection you can ever dream of. I shooted big Giant trevally about 20 kg and Sharks started to check me out. Also the current was forcing. The guys drove me to the front of the reef, with the current I came closer the reef and immediatly when I saw small fish I went down. The visibility was great about 22 meters, but at the deep, the current was working. So when I went down to 25 meters the visibility was about only 10 meters. And I felt somebody was watching me. Shit I turned and I saw Giant Tropical Groupper. 2 meters and more than 100 kg. Just looking at me. I turned and I was starting to aim it. This whic I can shoot only staright to the head. If I dont kill it right away I will loose my last good arrow. The monster was moving and I realised I will not shoot this "fat cow". I went up and little Samba as usually.

I was really having party at my head. Finally after 3 months of work. I have found the perfect place. I knew the great Dog Thooth Tuna would be here too, and I didnt have to disapoint.

The next 3 days I was fishing 12 hours a day, ( ok 2 hour lunch brake at the village ). We left to the reef at 5.30 am at the darkness. And oh mighty Thorn. The first hour was alway the best. No strong current. Totally blue water. Vsibility 25 meters. Water temperature +29 celcius.
I saw every 15 minutes huge Dog Thoot Tunas swimming under me. But they were not easy to catch. I really miss them the first two mornings. My body was not working well and I was too nervious. They let me close, but at the first hour was really difficult to dive 24 meters and wait there. Also, my body was really started to loose the energy. But I knew these would be the last days.

It was great to dive at the same place, just changing the spot with the current. I started to know were I should wait for the Tunas. Then I found this great hole at the vulcanic wall. I went there and, hided my Teak Sea gun with the 3 rubbers at beside me. Then the "german navy U-boats were coming" You can feel when they are coming close. They just swimming and they will not change the course. Shit the first one was so big that I was too scared to shoot it, so I let it pass and I shooted the second one ( by the way all the time the video housing at the left hand ). This I will have on tape. What a fight, the Dog Thooth Tuna started to fight like, at Thai guys at their parliament. My great PNG guys at the surface started to pull Tuna up. Also the guys at the boat. The end of my 35 meters rope was at the boat. The Tuna was coming up. I putted the housing at the boat and I tooked my small gun. Sharks were immediatly coming up from the depths. I check them out and I went to shoot the kill shot to the Tuna. Yes, I have it......

These days were the best. Great guys, good humour. They were all the time making jokes about me. Like " Hurry, hurry", " Pull, fast Pull". And thei were inhaling like me, wery deeply. Great guys. But they were really happy to have these fishes at the village. Many of the little children were really hungry with their swollowed stomachs. Every day I catched many Barracudas, Coral Trouts, Surgeon fishes and some snappers.

Then it was the last day. After noon I realised that the Tunas were now in front of the reef, very deep. I tried to go there with video camera, but it was too tuff. Going down to 25-28 meters with the broken left fin, housing and huge Teak Sea gun, with the rope up. Too much even for me, " every men has his breaking point". I left the camera at the boat and that was a good decicion.

The current was at 3 pm really strong and coming from the est, big waves from the west. We putted the fishing boye as a mark in the point of the reef. Then we drove against the current and about 200 meters before the boye I went to the water. Totally Yoga concentration and when I saw small blue Sardins I went down. When the current was strong and it was hitting the reef the visibility was only like 7 meters. That was a bit scary because I saw some sharks and I knew they were also working. And the water was all around me, no reef behind my back. But It was a amazing. Every dive I saw big Dog Thoots. But they kept the distance and looking at me. But then.....

When I went wery deep the first 10 meters strong work with the fins and then just going elevator down. 3 guys at the surface holding the rope
( end of the rope at the boat, if possible ). I looked around. Many small Sardins, when it is the good action you can really feel it, and now it was. Then at my right hand side, dark , mysterious, big shadow was moving. AAA...that was a huge Tuna. I was moving super slowly. I moved very calm, a bit closer, a bit closer. Then I putted my Teak Sea in fron of me and I aimed, this I will not loose. I shooted the giant at the head. Even I was using all the rubbers at their maximum power, the strong arrow didnt went thrue the head. It was some where in the head bones. The Tuna was starting the fight like a mad man. I was going up and looking the sharks which came immediatly. The rope was " singing " when the Tuna was pulling it. The rubber end of my rope went to it maximum, about extra 30 meters. Then, came a pause. I was shouting to the guys at the boat. Take the rope to the boat and start to pull slowly. The super used arrow wouldnt stay there for ever. I tooked the small gun and I was looking down. Finally I could see from the surface the great creature coming up. It was not fighting any moore, just small action. The problem were the sharks which were passing all over. I didnt care I went Down and I shooted the Tuna. But, shit no good. I couldnt kill it. Then the PNG boys went to panic. They saw a big reef shark and they all went out from the water to the boat. AAA...I tooked the camera and I started to film the action. Big Tuna coming up with the sharks action going dangerous. But thanks, the PNG boys were having the "fish stick" which they hitted the neck of the Dog Thooth and we got the monster to the boat. What a feeling. My dream has come reality. The biggest fish in my life at the boat. It was Dog Tooth Tuna about 40 kg.

At the evening we were having great party and I was so happy that I gave almost everything away to the village people. Suits, mask, finns, arrows, knifes, rubbers.....

Thank you and thank you the guy at upp stairs. I made it! And now to home!

Return to “Maza”