24.3.2005 Eritrea

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

24.3.2005 Eritrea

Postby Maza » 31.3.2005 23:01:52

Really hot night. At Massawa the sun was much stronger than fresh Asmara. Even sleeping naked under the mosqito net was not cooling my body. We had to turn on the wind machine in the roof, such a horrible noise. I really did not sleep well. We tried to wake up at 6 am. but the spanish fire men could not do that.

We did not have any other choise than leave Massawa and travel to the south. We tought that in the south there would be more fisher men and less goverment officers. Guiseppe from our shity hotel told that there is town called Galaloo which is by the sea. There should be boats and fisher men. Galaloo was 150 km from Massawa and it should take 44 hours. Jee right!

We miss the bus to Galaloo because my spanish friends could not wake up. So we were at the Massawa buss station at 7.30 am but no more busses to south. So we took our gears and we walked in the beginning of the road to Faro. After two hours waiting in the 38 degress of celcius I was out. Only some water trucks and United Nations jeeps were passing. Shit, we needed to have a ride. Then the spirit of bottle showed up. The muslim with nice toyota lorry. He stopped and asked if we needed a ride. He could not take us to Galaloo but to Faro. he wanted 2000 Nafta but in the end we paid 500. This was a great ride. He was driving in the middle of desert and stopping in front of the Nomands tents. Some people jumped out and some people jumped in. Mystic faces were sitting in the shadow of the huge tents.

After 3 hours we landed in the Faro. Village in middle of no where, but the funny thing was that in this village was finnish engineers working and making dwells. All the children came to look my blond face. I really wanted to continue was from this sand village but there was no ride. 4 hours boring waiting in the shadows. Nobody was having gasoline and cars were also totally fucked up. People were using mules for transport. After the swet waiting and some action we were standing in the top of the transport truck with 20 people and 5 goats.

This trip was one of the best in my life. Sun was not any more painfull and the dust from the street could not clime up to the stage. Orginally faces were staring us and we were staring back. I did some shooting with my video camera. It is really making a diffrence, aiming with the normal camera is driving people crazy but shooting with video camera is keeping people calm.

When the sun went behind the mountains and our brains were flying we landed to Galaloo. Police men stop the bus and he asked papers from us. We told that we have visas and we do not need anything else to travel at Eritrea. We were argueing,but in the end the police men lets us to the town. And what a town was it! Just wooden sheds all over. We knew that there was close some were new hotel for turists but of course we did not want to go there. So we paid 1 dollars each and we could sleep just in the local motel. The local motel was shitty house and beds were outside in the sand.

I was sleeping one hour under the mosquito net, but then happened something not so nice! Motorcross bike came with full speed toward to our beds. The local hard-core police cheaf came to bust our asses. he told us "follow me to the jail". Middle of the night and surrounded by black faces and couple kalashnikovs we entered the local jail. Horrorble memories. The tuff-tuff police men told as that you need special travel permission to came here. We did not have the paper and nobody had told as that we need some!

The police men told as "you are going to sleep here at the sand" and next thing in the morning you will leave with couple guards back to Massawa".

Jing-Jang. Eritrea is like the women with menopause!

I was totally out. We had to sleep in the sand with thosands of Malaria friends. I beg the cheaf that we could take our mosquito nets. First he said no, but maybe seeing my face he let us to do that. So we got our covers and horrible night started with the noise of mosquitos and fucking donkies!

Good night Africa!

Return to “Maza”