28.2.2005 Eritrea, Dahlak archipelago

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

28.2.2005 Eritrea, Dahlak archipelago

Postby Maza » 5.4.2005 12:52:50

Jing-Jang. The nice guide from Eritrean Diven center came in the early morning to pick up our passports. He had to take them to the office of Ministery of Turism. At the same time he showed us the paper that we have to sign before leaving to the Dahlak archipelago. We have to sign the paper which says that it is totally illegal to take any spearguns to the archipelago of Dahlak. Unbeliveable! We were talking with him a lot and in the end he let us take one gun just in case that we meet sharks or just to hunt small fish for dinner.

So at least now i realised that this trip will not be any spearfishing gourmet trip. But what the hell. main thing that we could leave this boring city. We could go to the sea!

Such a amazing feeling when we were sitting in the boat and the sea was hugging as. No dirty streets, no killer sun. The atmosphere was high. But once again the Jing-Jang hitted!
I was organisiting my under water video equipments. I noticed that I had left the rubber (you know the rubber thing which is keeping the water away from the under water housing) home. Mammamia. Travelling here at Africa and now it seemed that I could not do any underwater filmig because I left the important piece in fucken Finland.

The spanish firemens were insolting me like hell. I was really depressed. AAAAA......
But then I remembered one thing. Miladas father gave me before the trip one present. It was a little box which was water proof. I checked out the box and there was nice rubber thing. Unbeliveable luck. It was fitting quit well to my underwater video box. Yes! What a journey!

Dahlak archipelago is huge. It is continuing over 100 kilometers from the coast. We knew all ready from the beginning that we could only visit the islands near because the boats were too expensive and the guys were not having petrol. Ok, we came to the small island of Dahret. It is located about 25 kilometers from the coast. It is one of the first islands of Dahlak archipelago. Pure white sand and clear water. The lazy guide drove the boat to the beach so we had to swam about 400 meters before the coral was starting. I do not have words for coral. I will express my self later.

The coast of Eritrea is effected by the currents from the Indian ocean. Thrue the ”Strech” of Dibouti and Yemen strong currents are pushing dirty water to the Red Sea. So even we were about 700 hundred kilometers from the Indian Ocean you could see the effect. All the shallow places before the coral were covered by brown shit (plankton and dust). In the shallow was also growing sea weed which was similar for finnish sea weed. So the swimming of 400 meters under the killer sun with the black rubber costum was quit hard mission. Water temperature at the shallow was 28 celcius. We asked from the dark african guide that we want to dive at the spots were is very deep, I mean were the coral is growing deep. Guy said” Yes, yes do not worry”. Ok, the place he took as the coral was going only to 8 meters. Anyway it was great to do diving, freediving. Just going between the corals and searching fish. Visibility was 7-11 meters and water temperature 26 celcius. I left the video camera on deck. I just wanted to feel the sea.

When the sun was going down about 4 pm. the sea came much active and then I saw some nice underwater creatures. Beautifull group of Barracudas. It was great to dive among these motherfuckers. Jesus was taking some pictures. Huge Snapper 10 kg was swimming slowly just in front of my face. Grouppers from 3-4 kg were every were. This was really a virgin place. I did some waiting at the bottom and one reef shark 1,5 meters did not see mee so it was passing just over me. All of us of course respect the shark. I have one surficial respect. I just adore the beauty and design of these fellows (rocking like a accapella). I have been in MoMa but nothing from modern art is touching me as much as these deadly guys which are always on the run.
It was a great day and personally I was totally realised to get the preasure out.

We slept in the sand beach and under of shining tale of Orion!

Return to “Maza”